PDA

View Full Version : SDLC 7852 modem

Ronny2
03-06-10, 14:58
Jetzt : 9406-800 unter V5R4M0 + synchrone externe Modem 7852 : Hier mit machen wir STRPASTHR nach andere Systemen = Backuplinie im fall das Internet nicht lauft.

Wann wir über gehen nach eine Power6 8203 : kann dann die 7852 noch angeschlossen werden und kann ich meine SDLC Linie (STRPASTHR) benutzen ?

Felidae
04-06-10, 09:00
Hallo Ronny2,

unter bestimmten Voraussetzungen geht es glaube ich noch. Die SDLC-Verbindungen brauchen halt einen IOP.
Wir mussten unsere altem Modems nach dem Umstieg alle "entsorgen" ;) .

Schau mal, ob Du hier findest, was Du suchst:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4403.pdf

Gruss Simone

Ronny2
04-06-10, 09:15
Danke für ihre Antwort.

Was meinen Sie mit altem Modems 'entsorgen' ?

Vorher benützten wir dem modems für STRPASTHR und SNDNETF (DSTQ) also über ein SDLC dialup Linie. Jetzt lauft das über ein VPN . und benutze ich dem Modem nur noch in Notfall wann das Internet nicht funktioniert.

Eine sagt : das geht nicht mehr mit Power6 , ander sagt : vielleicht.

Felidae
04-06-10, 10:41
Hallo,

mit "entsorgen" meinte ich, dass wir die Dinger ausser Betrieb genommen haben.

In dem Redpaper-Link steht:

There are two important examples of the need for an IOP in System i environments: SNA and
tape support.

SNA support:
There are a number of customers using SNA communications protocols, typically using
the underlying Synchronous Data Link Control (SDLC) protocol. The IBM i implementation
is to have IBM Systems Network Architecture (SNA) processes (and on remote WAN
lines, SDLC protocol) within the IOP. The IOAs were not powerful enough to provide this
and work in the IOP off-loaded work that would consume CPU cycles building up data
transmission blocks and decoding incoming transmission blocks.
Newer IOAs have sufficient capacities, but with the SNA communications world no longer
expanding, re-implementing SAN processing for the newer IOAs is not cost justified.
However, where possible, customers with SNA-based networks will generally want to keep
the advantages available through the IOP-IOA relationship.
Alternatively, you can use the newer IOA communication adapters that do not work with an
IOP and use operating system-provided SNA Enterprise Extender support. However, in
that environment, you must ensure both ends of the conversation support SNA Enterprise
Extender protocols.
Enterprise Extender frames and protocols are masked within IP frames so the data is
freely routed across existing IP-based network. A lengthy discussion about Enterprise
Extender support is beyond the scope of this publication. It does provide some
advantages to SNA-based environments, but the key to its use is that both ends of the
conversation must support Enterprise Extender capabilities.

Tape support:
Some of the older tape technologies are supported by IBM i only when the tape device is
attached to an IOA with a supporting IOP.
For additional information on IOAs and controlling IOPs that enable IBM i to support “SNA
direct” (not using Enterpriese Extender support) and specific tape device or tape library
support, refer to IBM Power 520 and Power 550 (POWER6) System Builder, REDP-4412. For
tape support see the “Tape and optical storage attachment” chapter in REDP-4412.

Because the POWER6 system units do not support IOPs, the IOP-IOA configuration must be
preserved within a supporting I/O enclosure attached to the system using a RIO-2 loop
adapter.
IOAs introduced over the last two to three years have very fast processors and do not require
a supporting IOP. Within the System i community these adapters are sometimes referred to.

Daher meinte ich, es geht möglicherweise unter Bestimmten Voraussetzungen noch - aber vielleicht setzt Du Dich einfach mal mit eurem IBM-Partner in Verbindung.

Gruss Simone

Ronny2
07-06-10, 08:33
Ok Danke,

Ich habe schon nachfrage gemacht bei IBM-Partner und auch bei IBM , aber .... eigentlich habe ich dort kein Antwort bekommen : vielleicht .... vielleicht .... die wissen es nicht so gut denke ich.

Am besten, denke ich , alles was noch darüber lauft , umbauen nach unsere VPN und dann 7852 weg.