[NEWSboard IBMi Forum]

S36-Environment

Hallo Forum-Mitglieder,
    es gibt Gerüchte, dass ab dem Release V5R4 die S36-Umgebung nicht mehr unterstützt sein soll.
    Kann mir jemand eine Antwort geben?

Besten Dank im Voraus.
    Franz

System/36

Hallo Franz,
    ich habe hier ein Dokument:

IBM Changes Mind About Scrapping S/36 and S/38 Compilers
    by Rita-Lyn Sanders , Senior Industry Editor

June 22, 2006 -
    IBM has decided to reverse a decision it announced earlier this year in which it planned to eliminate the compilers for System/36 and System/38 applications from the next version of WebSphere Developer Studio (WDS).
    Instead, the company is keeping things as is for the foreseeable future, says George Farr, technical development manager for System i development tools at IBM's Toronto software labs. "Nothing's going to change," he says. "That's the bottom line."
    That is, the compilers for running System/36 and System/38 applications written in Cobol, RPG II, or RPG III will still be delivered with the next version of WDS so that customers can run the legacy applications without any changes on their System i boxes.
    The initial decision would have meant that customers running System/36 and System/38 applications in an emulation environment on the System i would have to upgrade the Cobol, RPG II, or RPG III code in the applications to ILE RPG or continue using the compilers as a non-warranted PRPQ starting with the next release of i5/OS.
    But customer feedback encouraged IBM to reverse the decision, Farr says. The announcement created some confusion among customers who took it to mean that the runtime environment for System/36 and System/38 applications would be eliminated from the iSeries, rather than the compilers.
    "Instead of causing confusion, our execs decided to keep it as is," Farr says. "We were trying to give the message to customers to move on to a new environment. We weren't doing it to make money."
    But that's not to say the change won't happen some time down the road. "It isn't the direction of our strategic tools and platform to develop for [System/36 and System/38 environments]," Farr says. "The message to customers is, 'It's finished, move on.'"

Besten Dank, Tarasik und einen schönen Tag noch.

Hallo Franz.. Migration...

Falls Du an einer Umstellung interessiert bitte, schau mal im Forum unter Migration.

Ich hab da einiges zu bieten.

Gruss, Brownie